Monday 16 June 2014

Paris bulletin 7 2008




The French health system doesn’t do home-based midwife visits in the days after a birth. To begin with if you want to, you can take your baby back to the hospital to be weighed.  But thereafter you use the system of local PMI (paediatric) centres for any questions you have, or any difficulties. These centres are staffed full-time by nurses and doctors and apparently don’t require you to make an appointment in advance. I have yet to discover what tactics are deployed for babies who leave hospital with a question mark over their welfare or their healthiness.

On my way back from Alicia’s school I met a young black woman leaving the classroom with her new baby. He was invisible under a blanket which was draped loosely across his mother’s front.

‘That’s Howa’s little brother,’ Alicia told me. ‘He’s just been born.’

I know who Howa is because she was holding the hand that wasn’t holding Alicia’s when I helped with the latest cinema expedition this week. She’s a jigger, a bouncer, a nice little girl who I can see from how Nellie, the teacher spoke to her, is constantly being checked. She pointed out the hotel they live in as we went on our way to the cinema.

‘C’est là où j’habite.’ (that’s where I live)

 ‘Tu as quoi comme appartement?’ (what’s your flat like?) I asked

‘On a une chambre comme tout le monde.’ (we’ve got one room like everyone else) She said.

So, one room for mum, the jigging, bouncing Howa, her little brother Suleiman and this new baby (and Dad too one supposes since I don’t think we’re talking here about a virgin birth). Suleiman’s  3, Howa’s 4, the baby’s less than a month… No wonder she jigs.

I’ve been at the muse du Quai Branly this afternoon  - a must I’d say for visitors to Paris. I’m told it’s been much criticised but to me it’s a treasure trove of native art, masks and totem poles and other stuff from the far flung parts of Oceania. Having spent the early part of this year reading loads of stuff by the Roumanian scholar Mircea Eliade I’m well up on homo religiosus and I found myself thinking we’ve lost a lot by embracing science so completely.

I walked back along the right bank of the Seine, past the houseboats and the bateaux mouches to Concorde. Tourists à gogo but no sign any longer of those piles of tributes to Diana at the pont de l’Alma. Then up towards Etoile, along clean but lifeless streets, past shuttered windows and ornate portes cocheres. Les repaires de la haute bourgeoisie.

 

                                                          Door knocker in the 16th arrondissement 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment